Whether it is a cold day in your neighborhood or you’re looking for a great comfort food, our recipe for Classic Cheesy Potato Soup is absolutely delicious! Even kids won’t be able to resist this awesome soup that is pretty easy to make. Give this recipe a try.
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally; drain drippings.
- Add vegetables, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender (and can break easily to the touch), 10-15 minutes.
- Mix flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup.
- Bring back to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- If desired, serve and garnish with green onions.
- Before you peel potatoes, scrub them with a vegetable brush under cold water. Remove eyes or sprouts. If you have a lot of potatoes, place them in cold water after peeling to prevent discoloring.
- Peel onion; cut in half vertically. Leave root end intact. Place onion half flat side down on cutting board. Make several slices parallel to board into the onion, leaving root uncut. Then slice perpendicularly to chop the onion.
1 cup: 250 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 823mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.