Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll remaining crust to fit top of pie; place over filling.
- Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in crust.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer.
- Finish by cooling on a wire rack.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Test Kitchen tips
- Save a few calories! You can reduce the sugar by half in this recipe or use a sugar substitute made for baking.
1 piece: 414 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Ready to get started with your homeownership goals? Contact us today by clicking here.