Man’s best friend has been a common phrase throughout history to describe human’s natural connection with their canine companions. Beyond people’s natural connections to their dogs, there are people who love their cats just as much if not more than dog owners. This is not even including the more uncommon pets people love such as birds, hamsters, gerbils, or reptiles. So the real question is, are people buying homes with their pets in mind?
A recent study found that a third of millennial-aged Americans (ages 18 to 36) who purchased their first home (33%) say the desire to have a better space or yard for a dog influenced their decision to purchase their first home, according to a new survey conducted online by Harris Poll. So beyond the typical reasons to purchase a home it is pretty clear that people are making the decisions to purchase with their pets in mind. Here’s just some of the reasons why a home can be better for your pets and you:
Homeownership Benefits for Dog Owners
- The obvious first benefit is many apartment complexes don’t allow dogs or have a size limit for dogs that are allowed in the apartment building, but when you own a home those restrictions simply no longer apply.
- Another benefit is having a yard for your dog, maybe your apartment complex has a small dog park, but with homeownership you can have a fenced in front yard or backyard that is just for your special pup.
- Also having a home just makes owning a dog more easy in general, instead of going down multiple flights of stairs or down an elevator to walk your dog in the morning, it becomes as simple as opening your front door
Homeownership Benefits for Cat Owners
- Does your cat use a litterbox? Does it gross you out having a litter box in your bathroom or living room? Well once you own a home you can keep your cat’s litter box out of the main living areas or in the garage!
- Cats are natural climbers and explorers, your feline friend will enjoy having a bigger space to find little nooks to snuggle up in.
Homeownership Benefits for other Pet Owners
- If you have a pet fish, imagine how much bigger of a tank you could get for your fish when you own a home with more space.
- If you have a pet reptile, your home can be more focused on your lizard or snake, you can have a larger terrarium.
- Are you a bird owner? Your caged bird can have more space whether it is letting your bird out of the cage to stretch their wings or upgrading your cage size for more space.
Beyond the obvious reasons for purchasing a home: like building equity, saving money in the long-term compared to renting, etc. Homeownership can be an awesome opportunity to improve the life of your pet as well as your own! If you’re ready to purchase a home, click here to start the prequalification process.